Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 1 year old lhasa apso. He's been throwing up all

Customer Question

I have a 1 year old lhasa apso. He's been throwing up all day. I took him to the vet this morning. They xrayed him and didn't find any obstructions. They gave him an anti-nausea medication via injection and some IV fluid. They told me to give him pepcid, which I have. Now he has diarrhea. Brown runny stinky slimy. He passed a small rubber object which wasn't visible on the xray. I have it and it is kind of rubbery. My question is can I give him some immodium now to ease his diarrhea or should I let his body work in case he needs to get whatever is wrong out. Thanks for any help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I apologize for the delay in response, your question is just now showing up in queue to be answered 12+ hours after your request.
To answer your question I avoid immodium at all cost because it can have quite severe consequences in some dogs, especially certain breeds.
Using a bland diet of white rice and boiled chicken or if your veterinarian gave you a prescription gi food I would simply see if the diarrhea resolves on its own now that he has passed this object. If not, please bring in a fecal sample (fresh or refrigerated) to have your veterinarian evaluate it to ensure further medical management (anti or probiotics for example) to get him feeling better soon.
I hope this answers your question and if you would like the question sent to customer service to discuss a refund I can also handle that for you as well. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you both...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman