Santiago Soto
Santiago Soto, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years experience on small animals, owner of private practice on the island of Roatan.
20649525

My 3-year old puggle was shaking this morning (his back legs.) He'

Customer Question

My 3-year old puggle was shaking this morning (his back legs.) He's usually very hyper but this morning he just slept and was walking very sluggish. I took him for a short walk and he did diarrhea. He seemed a little better after the walk, and the shaking has stopped, but now there's blood in his urine.
I should point out my neighbor told me they put rat poison in the garden across the street, I don't take my dog there and I always wipe his paws and snout when we come home from outside. I don't know what it could be. The vet isn't open until tomorrow morning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Santiago Soto replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question;
There are different symptoms you are describing that suggest different scenarios.
The worst one rat poisoning, however with this there would be blood coming out from every hole (nose, mouth, anus etc) and even death in short period of time.
So if he is not bleeding from anywhere this is less likely.
Now the shaking of the legs and the "sluggishness" might be an electrolyte unbalance.
Soft stools can be a sign of intestinal worms.
My advice is to keep him hydrate with Gatorade. That way you keep his electrolyte levels.
This will keep him through the night. But the best thing is to test him for worms by your vet.
Again if the shakings stop and he is not bleeding he should be ok through the night. Just follow the above instructions.
Best of luck and im here if youbhave mores questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The vet says its bilirubin and some issues with his liver
Sorry to hear that.
And hope your little one comes around.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
If not you can click on the "accept" bottom
Have a great day
Hi Julissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Barkley. How is everything going?

Santiago Soto