Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is asllergic to something nd having a reaction. her

Customer Question

my dog is asllergic to something nd having a reaction. her eyelidsare swollen and her breathing is erratic rapid havanese poodle mix 4yo girl 16lbs she ran around like crazy for ten minutes and then pooped out and twitches every couple of minutes lethatrgic
nowandlistless won't come up on bed or move
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has she had these signs?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Do you have any idea what she has been in contact with (ie bees) or eaten?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13 x6 78
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums are pink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No idea about bees
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was nighttime
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Now I am quite concerned about your lass. Her respiration is severely elevated (at rest it should be ~20-30bpm). That said, it is good that she has pink gums, since it does tell us that she is at least getting enough oxygen with that elevated rate.
Now I agree this sounds like an allergic reaction. The problem though is that if we do not know what triggered it, whether it is something she ate ( + therefore still causing an anaphylactic reaction) and when it did so, we just cannot know whether this is the worst of her signs or if this is going to get worse. And as I am sure you can appreciate, facial swelling can affect the airway and their breathing. And that can be very dangerous for them.
Therefore, I have to say that in this case and with her elevated breathing, it would be best to have her to your local vet right away. They can put her on oxygen to help her breathe easier and administer injectable steroids to quickly overcome this allergic reaction. If they think she ate something dangerous, then an xray could be taken to see if that was the case.
Otherwise, if that is not an option, then you can consider trying Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). This can counter mild allergic reactions (though her's sounds quite severe and will likely need steroids from her vet) but you can try it here. The dose for dogs is 0.5-2 milligrams per pound (so up to 32mg for a 16lb dog) and can be given every 8 hours to try to reduce her signs.
Overall, her signs are highly worrying of an allergic reaction. With it so severe and her breathing elevated, it would be best to treat this as an emergency and get her seen now. If there is any delay in doing so, you can use the Benadryl until she can be seen for stronger steroid treatment and to make sure this isn't an ongoing issue from having eaten the trigger and therefore risking this getting worse for her.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @:
http://www.vetlocator.com/ -or-
www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr. B.