Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 13 year old dog has a approx. 3" tumor on rear of his body.

Customer Question

My 13 year old dog has a approx. 3" tumor on rear of his body. No external damage but small lesions are not open more like blemishes...on tumor. It appears to be well defined under skin. Would the removal of tumor by surgery be successful and is a risk of surgery not being successful more likely....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello, and welcome.My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction. 1. The situation is that there are quite a range of tumours which can occur in dogs, some are very minor such as lipomas { benign fatty tumours } ranging through to very malignant tumours. Some would be handled very easily but with other surgery may not be successful. 2. The best thing to do would be to have your vet carry out a relatively simple and inexpensive needle biopsy, this will give your vet an accurate idea of what you are dealing with and what the outcome might be. A clinical examination carried out at the same time would indicate how well your dog would withstand the stresses of surgical removal.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the tumour.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.