Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Are pork rib bones safe

Customer Question

are pork rib bones safe for dogs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Actually the situation is the really no sort of bones are safe for dogs. Of course dogs love them and most dogs will happily eat them and not experience and sort of problem. But like all small animal vets I did experience sometimes serious incidents with my clients dogs about twice a year related to eating bones. 2. Rib bones and chicken bones can sometimes splinter and the sharp fragments can then penetrate the intestinal tract and cause a peritonitis. You would think large shin bones would be safer and they are to some degree, but some dogs can grind them down to bone meal by continuing gnawing and this can set in their intestinal tracts and cause a blockage. 3. I never give my own dogs bones of any sort, best look for some safer alternative from the pet store. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice
No problem, very glad to have advised you ... Of course any risk will be quite minimal but having seen what can go wrong I personally never take the risk ... Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the bones.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.