Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I've now taken my dog to the vet twice in ten days .

Customer Question

I've now taken my dog to the vet twice in ten days for vomiting. He is drinking water but not eating. He won even eat the hamburger and rice I have cooked for him. The second time at the vets they did a blood panel and X-rays. It showed no blockages, but his intestines were inflamed and is white blood cells were elevated. They gave him an injection of SQ Baytril, and I took home Metronidazole 500mg and Cerenia for nausea. In the ten days he has gone from 94 pounds to 87 pounds. It has now been 3 days and he has still not eaten. He has never been a pickey eater and I'm really worried in need advice help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. Has he been vomiting every day for 10 days in a row? In the last 3 days, has he vomited every day? What breed is he? How long ago was your last vet visit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not everyday but at least every other, since going to the vets office at least once everyday. We think he is a boxer and ridgeback. I was at the vets Friday, May 15
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
How old is he? Is he getting pretty down and dumpy? What did your vet say was the next step in figuring out what is going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is seven and yes just not himself at all. The meds are not helping at all. A strange thing is today after I got hame from work he is limping on his hind leg, don't know if this could be related
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
How long ago did he last vomit? Did your vet talk about doing a barium series or abdominal ultrasound? When did you last communicate with them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm calling again tomorrow. He vomited this morning it seems to be just water. He is drinking quite a lot
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Getting them informed of the lack of improvement is absolutely a good idea here. At this time, with the previous testing not showing what the underlying cause is, the next step most likely is a barium series. This is where a dye is swallowed and then followed as it passes through the intestinal tract with x-rays. It is a more definitive method to look for a blockage. Plain x-rays can miss certain foreign material / blockages. I would have to say that the current signs seem concerning for a blockage. The other possible diagnostic step would be an ultrasound. This can look at the abdominal organs in a closer manner and screen for other issues. The limping in the leg wouldn't seem to tie into the current vomiting, but that is something that your vet will take note of.