Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 9.5 stone Malamute who does not travel well (4hr journey)

Customer Question

I have a 9.5 stone Malamute who does not travel well (4hr journey) what can I give him to calm him down/sedate
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Of course your vet will be able to give you a prescription drug which is suitable for this purpose, but if you are thinking of over the counter remedies then you really only have one choice, this being Benadryl, this does have mild sedative properties in the dog. A typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day but you can safely give up to 2 mg per pound. This would be administered one hour before the desired effect was needed.2. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buck. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply which already was available on the internet. So to that end I rated it as OK as I felt the response would not have taken the time that it did. Thank you though.

Thanks for your email,
I have not received the rating yet ...
Regards,
Scott