helperDVM
helperDVM, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal and exotics veterinarian.
76789122

My dogs had his surgery fractured femur 5 months

Customer Question

Hi my dogs had his surgery for his fractured femur 5 months ago. He had a cement cast for 1 and half month and medullary pin for almost two months. We have recently take x-ray for his femur and we found it is not properly healing.
I would like to know if there is something i can do now or if not any precaution that have to take in restricting his movements from now on. He is been always on leash for last 3 months and for first 2 months he was confined only to a room.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
At this point a malunion (incorrectly healed fracture) can be corrected - the best option is to take him to an orthopedic surgeon. They may have to revise the fracture line to try to get to heal. Depending on how big Budugu is you may be able to kennel rest him. This means pretty strict confinement and only leaving the kennel to potty. It's hard to do but that would be the only chance he would have if you choose not to have a surgeon go back in which could be rather expensive. If you are having a hard time keeping him quiet in the kennel you should ask your doctor for mild to moderate sedation. If worst comes to worst you can have the leg amputated but I save that for the LAST resort.
Best of luck!!
Let me know if you have any other questions, if not and you are satisfied please rate me. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.I am sending you the pic of the x-ray image the i have taken yesterday. Can you tell me what works for him exactly after having a view at the image. He is a big dog. In this case what happens if i can not keep him rested.? What happens if the leg is not amputated.?

Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
That is some fracture!! OUCH! Because of how close the fracture is to the joint he would benefit greatly from having an orthopedic surgeon re-fracture the ends to try to get the bone to heal. If you choose not to amputate the leg it body will eventually form a false joint there. The concern would be that it may put a lot of extra pressure on his good leg eventually causing arthritis in the good leg. That would ruin his good leg. Amputation sounds scary but I assure you he's likely already three legged as walking on that injured leg can't feel very good. So it would not bother him to have it gone! Three legged dogs do WONDERFUL!! With the way that fracture looks at this point resting him will likely not help much unfortunately. Long term if you just let it be, he likely will not be in pain but he will worsen the other leg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok..so you saying at this point he will show an improvement with a treatment under an orthopedic surgeon.?

can you let me know what does an orthopedic surgeon will do? will he immobalise his leg after aligning it properly? or another surgery .? how long do you think he has to be restricted to kennel after his orthopedic treatment?

Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
The orthopedic surgeon would do surgery. They would re-fracture the ends of the bone and put a plate in to hold the fracture still while it heals this time. The surgeon would then immobilize the leg again by cast or splint and then usually it's anywhere from 4-8 weeks of being restricted to the kennel after surgery to make sure that it heals correctly this time. They would add physical therapy to help rebuild the muscles in the injured leg.