Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Will eye drops cure cataracs in my 7 yr old shitzu?

Customer Question

will eye drops cure cataracs in my 7 yr old shitzu?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your girl and her cataracts. I am happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately eye drops will not do anything to help cataracts. Cataracts is a structural change of the lens and eye drops or even oral medications will do nothing to change that back to normal. Unfortunately the only way to fix cataracts is to replace the lens. Just like in humans we can do cataract surgery on dogs where we remove the bad lens and put in an artificial lens. It works very well in dogs and they do great. If that is something you would be interested in contact your vet to be referred to a veterinary ophthalmologist to have her evaluated for the procedure.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.