Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Dog ate a cup of bacon grease

Customer Question

dog ate a cup of bacon grease
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry that your Aussie got into trouble and ingested bacon grease! I definitely would induce vomiting if this occurred in the past 1-2 hours because this can result in pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas and require hospitalization to treat if metabolized.
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs
If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting. If no vomiting after this second treatment please consider a veterinary er to give medication to induce vomiting such as apomorphine.
Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!