DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

Before my dog was neutered he had a erection and had a ball

Customer Question

Before my dog was neutered he had a erection and had a ball at the tip of his penis he is now neutered and has a erection that is not going down ..how do I help him ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Para phimosis ( inability to retract the penis) is an Emergency! If it out too long the blood supply is restricted and can cause permanent damage. Can you see a reason it is stuck out? Swelling iof the sheath? Hair at the end of the sheath wrapped around the penis? You can try applying some lubricant (like KY jelly) or a moisturizing lotion and try to see if it will slip back in.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
If it is not moving .....you need to get to a vet asap. If things get bad, it may require surgical correction so it's better to go sooner rather than later. In the meantime , keep the penis moist and don't let the dog lick it. I hope this helped. Please let me know if you have further questions.