Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Cavalier king charles has vomiting, runs a temperature and gets dehydrated. We have

Customer Question

"Cavalier king charles has vomiting, runs a temperature and gets dehydrated. We have had x-rays showing no obstruction or blockage, but keeps dragging butt and licking/biting at back leg and rolling. Logan improves for couple of days and resorts back to not keeping food down. What are we missing?"
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so very sorry to hear Logan has been going through so much recently...
I have just a few questions:
1.) Has endoscopy been discussed? Using a camera down into the stomach and small intestine to determine if there is a cause but also get biopsies and hopefully get you answers. This is typically done by an internist at a specialty hospital
2.) Have tick titers been considered? With the relapse of fevers this would be something I would want to rule out, possible viral causes. You may never see the tick but it can feed and fall off leaving a virus such as Lyme's disease or Ehrlichia behind. Treatment is a very specific antibiotic such as doxycycline for a 4 week period
3>) Food allergies is another consideration with the rear end issues as well so a trial of a food that is hypoallergenic such as Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein or Hill's Z/D. Most food allergies are protein based and these foods break down protein beyond what the body recognizes as protein. My dog had infrequent vomiting but frequent diarrhea and her anal glands were forever infected so that I actually had to remove them. Since being on this food she has done great!
Hopefully this gives you a few leads to discuss with your veterinarian and hopefully get on top of what is causing Logan's symptoms... Please let me know if this information makes sense or any additional questions I can assist with...
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!