Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My jrt has intermittent bouts of being able to get comfortable

Customer Question

My jrt has intermittent bouts of being able to get comfortable to rest, backing up, and hesitating to go upstairs. At other times she is acting like a typical jrt...energetic and fine. She's eating, drinking and pottying fine. Ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Most likely Lily has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in older jrts because of their conformation. Since Lily does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as Lily is eating well now, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. when she has an episode. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. It is not unusual for this to be intermittent since the disc can stabilize by itself. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine Lily to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta