Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My labs 4 yrs old Snickers is her name she started to get a

Customer Question

My labs 4 yrs old Snickers is her name she started to get a cough a hacking woth a ack at the end took her in heart worm test good!
Took her in for exam the vet said most likely kennel cough. She prescribed antibiotic and otc cough relief . Its been a week shes got worse weak. cold shakes. So we.re been giving her pediolite she eats but not alot. What do you think tomorrows along way for a vet around here
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Considering Snickers age and the symptoms, this is still most likely Kennel Cough. This can take weeks to resolve and there is nothing else that can be given besides what your vet has prescribed. There is a slight chance that Snickers could have Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) which can show similar signs and having only a heartworm test will not show this. If this continues, it is best to have a specialist examine Snickers to be sure that this is not CHF although, at her age, this is not likely. In most cases, this is a case of Kennel Cough that is taking a long time to resolve.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snickers. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta