Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is one year old (as of May 10th), a Corgi, about 15 pounds. All of her vaccination

Customer Question

My dog is one year old (as of May 10th), a Corgi, about 15 pounds. All of her vaccinations are up to date. She has had very forceful liquid diarrhea twice in the past twelve hours and is vomiting white foam (3 times). She had a lower amount of energy than usual, is kind of wandering around and laying down, however she keeps chasing our cat when he is in sight (a favorite hobby). The last time she ate was 7pm central time last night.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can she keep water down?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She hasn't been drinking enough to tell. She just got up about 45 minutes ago. Gums are pink and moist. Pressing on her belly didn't seem to affect her. We watch her very closely but she is one that will eat ANYTHING so it's definitely a possibility.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
First, I am glad to see that she has nice pink/moist gums as that tells us that her hydration is good at the moment and we don't have any major compromise causing internal bleeding (since that can cause paling of that nice pink color).
Now as I am sure you can appreciate GI upset causing both upper and lower GI signs is something we do need to approach with care. This is because it is very easy for affected dogs to become dehydrated, as they lose fluid from both ends and struggle to take in enough to replenish those losses. Furthermore, we do have to be aware that this can be triggered be a range of agents (ie bacterial or viral GI bugs, pancreatitis, parasitic infections, dietary indiscretions, toxin or foreign body ingestions). And if she is a dog that does eat odd items and you know of any missing, then that would be a real worry and we'd want her checked urgently.
Otherwise, as long as there is nothing that she could have gotten into that we know about, we'd want to start some supportive care to settle her stomach and then reduce her diarrhea. To start, if she is actively vomiting now, then we'd want to rest her stomach by withholding food for a few hours. She should have access to water at all times, but in small amounts since over drinking can induce vomiting as well. (If she does have a reasonable amount of water and cannot keep that down, then we'd have to consider having her seen sooner so that she can be treated with anti-vomiting/sickness medication.)
Once she is more settled, you can then address her nausea (often the root of vomiting) by treating her with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset gut signs.
Once that is on board, then I would advise giving her a small volume of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). You want to offer a small amount (1 tbsp) to start and if she keeps that down, a bit more can be offered about thirty minutes later. If no vomiting is seen, then you can increase the volume you are feeding. I usually advise that the diet be continued until the signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.
Just to note, if you are concerned that she is become dehydrated (since pups do have limited reserves), then you do want to check her hydration. When checking a pet's hydration status, there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing signs of dehydration at any point, then that would be a cue to have her seen by her vet to address this before it can make her feel even more poorly. And just to note, if we have active vomiting, syringing fluids would be contraindicated (as it can cause more vomiting) until she has been treated with injectable anti-vomiting medication.
Furthermore, there are some anti-diarrheals that you can use here to slow things down for her gut and help normalize her stools. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if she has happened to pick up a GI bug, but this should help settle any upset from those dietary indiscretion. As well, these can also aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. In regards ***** ***** options for her, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are :
* Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx) or
* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx )
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Pro-Pectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (both are available at some pet stores, OTC at vets, or even on Amazon) would be other options you could use. All will slow diarrhea and the last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.
Overall, we can see these signs associated with a range of issue. Therefore, as long as you don’t suspect that she has eaten something sinister, you can try that above with your wee one. Though if you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours (especially as she a younger with little body reserve) or she cannot keep water down, then I would advise following up with her vet so that they can address and other possible causes of her GI signs. They will be able to assess her hydration, rule out fever, and check her belly for any lumps, bumps, or things that shouldn’t be in there. Depending on their findings, they can treat her with injectable antibiotics and anti-vomiting medication to settle her stomach and help her get back to feeling like herself.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kadee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kadee L Bellini. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pancake is 100% back to normal! Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome & thank you for the update on Pancake,
I am glad to hear all is well and she is feeling better. :)
All the best,
Dr. B.
____________________________________________________________
** Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)