Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My Labrador/german shepard is 11 years old, appears to have only about 50% of mouth

Customer Question

my Labrador/german shepard bitch is 11 years old, appears to have only about 50% of mouth opening function, plus in the last year she has lost a lot of fluid on her head, meaning her skull is very pronounced now, she has lost no body weight, and is in no apparent pain, still very happy and active, running and swimming, but unable to pick up some of her toys, still has bright eyes, perfect toilet function, pink tongue and gums, very happy hound, any ideas ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mia. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Mia could have MMM, masseter muscle myositis. This is a immune mediated condition of the muscles of the jaw, which attach to the top of the skull. The muscles atrophy, which makes the bones of the skull more pronounced, and also make it hard for her to open her mouth.
Many dogs improve with steroids like prednisone. There is a blood test to see if this is what she has, or a muscle biopsy may give a diagnosis.
Let me know if this helps and if I can answer anything else.