Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog just ate a small cheap razor blade. He's about 5 monhts and its a bergian

Customer Question

Hi, my dog just ate a small cheap razor blade. He's about 5 monhts and its a bergian malinois. Very atlete and active. Its 3:53am in Puerto Rico, this happen about 30minutes. No sign of blood, he already defecated and no sign of vomiting or pain. Hes running around house. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need best answer and fast pleased. Need something to provoc vomit?
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Dogs are very prone to swallowing various objects but I can tell you that I have known sharp objects like glass pass straight through a dog's intestinal tract without problem before this, however as you are aware there is an obvious danger though. Here is some general advice based on my previous experience : 1. Do not try to make Tejon sick to recover the object as sharp objects like this blade can cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.2. Feed him quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato right now in the hope that it will form round and cushion the razor blade as it passes along your dog's intestinal tract, this can be very effective3. I know this is a horrid task but you should examine your dog's faeces over the next few days to make sure the object has passed.4. However be aware that though that there is a potential for a problem to occur here due to damage to the intestinal tract. So monitor Tejon carefully for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that this object could penetrate the intestinal tract which would be a very serious situation. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already give him a lot of water to drink thats good whit the bread
Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further. The water is no problem, but the main thing now is to get some bread or mashed potato into him ASAP ... Regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot, before the bread i give him to eat dog food. Proplan chicken and rice
The food may help but still give him the bread or mashed potato if you can ... It may not be so bad, I have known dogs get away with this sort of thing quite a few times, but keep a very good eye on him. Regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am very thankfull for your quick answer. God bless you
No problem, very glad to have advised you...
Kindest regards, *****
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Tejon is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the razor blade incident.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.