DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My almost 6 month old pt puppy ate tulip bulbs, several,

Customer Question

my almost 6 month old pt bull puppy ate tulip bulbs, several, I've read the symptoms nausea, vomiting breathing trouble and she dose not have them, but she 's very sleepy and her nose is hot and her ears are warm inside, I don't know if its the tulips or that she might be getting her period. She started licking herself at weird times like in the middle of eating she would leave the bowl to lick , she did this several times. She usually has tons of energy especially when we go out and she greets us when we get home, she just seems off. I read about ipecac for treatment should I do this. Her vaginal area has been puffy for the last week, before she ate the bulbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. I'm sorry to hear about your puppy's troubles. Ipecac or inducing vomiting will not be helpful at this point. I would be very concerned though about toxic effects of ingesting the tulip bulbs. It would be best Ito take your puppy to an emergency vet for some bloodwork and make sure everything is ok. You can check and see if the dog has a fever. Use a human digital thermometer. Wet or Lube it with Vaseline and insert in the rectum. A temp greater than 102 F is a fever and constitutes an emergency for sure. I am thinking that the puppy's coming into heat is just a coincidence ....although a fever from that could also cause lethargy.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMelJ