Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog is 5 years old and she has never been scared of noises

Customer Question

My dog is 5 years old and she has never been scared of noises before now. The last few weeks she is reacting to the telephone ringing or the computer beeping with fear and shaking. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your schnauzer. I'm so sorry she is starting to show these signs, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
You're off to a good start by doing what you can to minimize her exposure to the things that are triggering her anxiety.
I'd also recommend the following...
1. A trip to the vet to make sure this isn't related to any type of medical problem.
2. Do your very best to make sure good things happen when those noises come up. That may take some creativity and carefully controlled circumstances, but try to create situations where the noise occurs and she gets her favorite treats or a favorite game. Be sure to exude happiness and pleasure yourself with the noise. If you fret or worry about what she might do when the noise occur, she'll pick up and that and think she should be anxious too.
3. Above all do your very best to make sure you don't validate her anxiety by allowing what she would perceive as a bad thing to happen in association with the noise. This includes trying to discipline her for her anxiety or making a big fuss or worry over her.
Most dogs with anxiety issues show them earlier in life than this, so I'm hopeful that with some intense and careful conditioning, you'll be able to turn things around for her.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask if you have any further questions after reviewing the information I provided above. I know it's awful to feel helpless when you watch your dog be upset by these things.
Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?