Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog was having coughing spells the Vet prescribed

Customer Question

My dog was having coughing spells for which the Vet prescribed Clavamox 250mg + Temaril-P. The problem is that he appears to be getting worse instead of better. The coughing spells are now more frequent but sound (wheezing) as if the congestion in his lungs is breaking up. Does this mean the medication is working? My Vet is not available until next week and I am wondering if I should take him into an Emergency Vet hospital?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Teddy's cough. I'm so sorry he's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
I want to send this off to you now so you know I am working on your question. Typing as quickly as I can...
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The prescriptions for Clavamox and Temaril-P were a decent first guess at treatment for Teddy, but unfortunately there are a lot of other types of diseases that are likely to cause a 12-year-old dog to cough that won't get better on either of these medications.
In fact, the only diseases that would respond to that kind of treatment would be a mild bacterial infection (not common), or an allergy (also not a common presentation for allergy).
Some other diseases that could cause coughing in a dog like Teddy that are much more common and would require different treatment include:
-heart disease and/or heart failure
-fungal pneumonia
-bacterial pneumonia (non-responsive to Clavamox)
-neoplasia (cancer)
-collapsing trachea
-canine flu
I'm sorry to be so alarming, but I'm worried about Teddy. As you can see, nearly all of the diseases on the list are very serious.
So, yes please, if you are able, please take Teddy to the emergency vet. I'm eager for him to receive care right away, and he deserves an actual diagnosis instead of just a guess at what the problem might be.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to ask how Teddy is doing. I've been very worried.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.