Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 9 week old puppy has diarrhea and vomited been sleeping

Customer Question

My 9 week old puppy has diarrhea and vomited been sleeping most of the day been drinking water and are some chicken and rice should I be concerened
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has he been showing signs?
What is he bringing up in his vomit?
Can he keep water down?
What does the diarrhea look like (color, consistency, any blood or mucus)?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started about 15 hours ago diarrhea is really briwn and wet no blood or mucas when got sick it was like a yellow mucas gums are pink and moist not sure if he ate something bad just no energy and not his playfull self can keep water down and just ate some chicken and rice back asleep now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hasent eaten much the last. 24 hours no energy from lack of eating been a picky eater
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I have to say that I am very concerned about your lad.
Your lads signs do tell us that he has quite significant upper and lower GI upset. As I am sure you can appreciate, just like people, dogs can have vomiting and diarrhea that is caused by a range of agents. Specifically we have to consider that we can see these signs with general bacterial infections, viruses, parasites, toxins, foreign body ingestion, and general dietary indiscretions.
Now if he can at least keep water down, that is a positive for us. This is because it means that we can try some supportive care for him at home. Of course, if that changes and he cannot keep water down at any point or is too nauseous to drink, then that is often a red flag that we will at least need to get him on injectable anti-vomiting medication to settle his stomach and tackle this.
Now just to note, if he is resting at the moment, I would let him continue to do so. If he is very dull and without energy, then I would just mention that you can give him a bit of a blood sugar boost by rubbing glucose syrup (or karo syrup, honey, pancake syrup, etc) on his gums. This will give him a boost and could perk him up enough for us to keep him eating and getting this stomach settled.
Once he is awake, since he has had vomiting, you can consider treating him with an antacid to settle his stomach. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
*Tagamet (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet#.VE4NVBYYBaQ)
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that has had time to absorb, you can keep offering your light/easily digestible diet. Remember though to use small meals with breaks to avoid him over eating and triggering more vomiting. Just to note, further to chicken you can also use boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Whichever you feed, as I noted, small meals are ideal since it will reduce nausea but also the diarrhea volume. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until the GI upset is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.
Since vomiting and diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a dog, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. I am glad his gums are moist (we want them to stay that way) but other signs to monitor are whether the eyes appear sunken, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE (www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, since he is a baby, then you do want to have him seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue.
After checking, if you are concerned that he is becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage him to drink by offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. Furthermore, you can offer rehydration solutions like Pedialyte. Pedialyte is nice (though aim for a flavorless one) because it will get some of those lost electrolytes back into him as well. Do note that you should not give this via syringe if his vomiting doesn't settle first. If it does, then we'd want to aim to be getting 48 ml per kilogram of his body weight plus an equivalent amount to match diarrhea losses each day.
Finally, there are some anti-diarrheals that can be used in dogs to slow things down for their gut if his stools are very runny. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure (since cures would depend on the culprit and might include antibiotics or anti-parasitics, etc.) but would slow the diarrhea to aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx ) or PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate/page1.aspx#.VDp9WBZYxaQ ) available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Propectalin and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices or online at Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.
Overall, your lad's signs do suggest GI upset targeting the intestines and the stomach together. Therefore, as long as he has had no access to anything toxic or non-edible, you can take the above steps to settle his stomach and monitor his hydration. If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours (or he develops belly pain or cannot keep water down), then we'd want to follow up with his vet to make sure there is nothing sinister afoot. The vet will be able to have a feel of his belly for sinister lumps and bumps or anything that doesn't belong. Depending on their findings, they will be able to treat him with antibiotics against bacterial gastroenteritis, anti-nausea medication by injection to help settle his stomach to get him back on track as quick as possible.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)