Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was licking her paws and I believe she may have gotten

Customer Question

My dog was licking her paws and I believe she may have gotten bit by a spider and also swallowed it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did these signs start?

Are you seeing any swelling of her paws or sores/discolorations?

How much Benadryl did you give? How much does she weigh?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just her his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was up most of the night. She kept pacing. We finally put her on our bed and fell asleep. However we found blood spots on the sheets. She is finishing her dose of metrodiazole for a blocked anal gland. I checked her rectum it was normal with no traces of anything. She ate and had a bowel movement. Her gums are normal and seems fine today.
However a groomer once told me as she was grooming her she shook and blood droplets came out of her face? At first I thought this was insane. Now however I question where did these blood droplets come from last night?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Barbara,

Can you check all her nails for possible sites of blood loss (if they were cut too short)?

If you check her mouth, any blood to be seen there?

Any wetness at the eyes or nose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog had FCE when she was 7 mos old and was rehabbed meantime had 2 torn ACL's but still has atxia from the FCE. One paw the one she drags is a little swollen and 2 digits are missing hair and look raw. Checked her moth all good however one part of her nose seemed dry and a small slit where the bottom of her left nostril meets the right.
She seems calm today and has eaten and had a bowel movement. Now I'm concerned about why doesn't she have hair in those two digits. Also her hair is missing is some areas but minor
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Barbara,

I am glad to hear that she is calmer and it sounds like the effects of this possible spider ingestion may be settling. Now if she drags those 2 toes on the ground when placing her foot, then that will wear hair away and can also cause mild irritation/swelling. And with time, due to constant abrasion/rubbing will actually lead to the hair growth in this area halting. This phenomena is the same reason why pets that wear the same collar for years tend to appear bald under their collars. Therefore, if we are seeing these changes from her dragging this foot, you may want to consider using a bootie (example) when she is on abrasive substrates.

Finally, if her nose is appearing cracked and the source of out blood loss, we do need to keep an eye on this. If it is open, consider salt water bathing this to cleanse the wound. You can even apply a small amount of OTC antibiotic cream to help it heal and avoid infection. And if the nose is quite dry and this looks more like cracking, you can try gently rubbing a thin layer of coconut oil into the skin to help moisturize and reduce cracking.

Please take care,
Dr. B.