How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15776
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I poured about a cup of bleach in the toilet an hour ago and

Customer Question

I poured about a cup of bleach in the toilet an hour ago and just caught my ***** ***** drinking from it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about your pup Happy drinking toilet water that had bleach mixed in it.
While bleach and cleaners are both gastrointestinal and mucous membrane irritants she would need to ingest a certain amount to cause irritation. Once bleach is mixed with water it is much less irritating and I don't believe that the small amount your pup would have ingested should be enough to make her sick.
Symptoms you would see with bleach irritation would be drooling, red, raw gums and tongue, nausea, and vomiting.
The best thing to do for your girl is to thoroughly rinse her mouth and tongue with cool water, which you have done by giving her something to drink, then offer her a small amount of milk (1/4 to 1/2 cup depending upon her size) to coat any possible irritation.
If she seems at all nauseous it may help to give an acid reducer medication. You can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and should be used for a couple weeks to help heal any burns.
Then to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.
If you see any redness or evidence of burns on her gums and tongue, or she refuses to eat then she should see a veterinarian.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.