Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We live in an area that's just starting to get ticks. We keep

Customer Question

We live in an area that's just starting to get ticks. We keep the grass cut low, and do live in a more remote community but our dog doesn't get walked much in the woods. I'm still a little nervous about ticks in the area because they're new. I've been looking online for natural repellents because I'm not a fan of using harsh chemicals with either humans or animals. I've seen a lot of talk about Rose Geranium online. I'm wondering if this is actually safe for dogs, and if it seems to work?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Marley. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
You are right to be concerned. Ticks can carry some pretty serious diseases.
Many essential oils like Rose Geranium can be unsafe in dogs. Tea tree oil, for instance, can sicken and even kill small dogs and cats. Rose Geranium appears to repel ticks, but lasts only a few hours so it has to be repeatedly applied, and there is concern about over using it because of the phenols present in all essential oils.
The best natural flea and tick product I know is Buck Mountain parasite dust:
http://www.buckmountainbotanicals.net/treatments/parasitedust.html
I have seen this work. It has to be worked into the coat.
Let me know if I can help with or research anything else for you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shannon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Marley. How is everything going?