Andrea Scheer
Andrea Scheer, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
76806804

My dog has not been acting right. She has been moping around

Customer Question

My dog has not been acting right. She has been moping around all day. She is breathing hard especially on exhalation and not eating well. This has been going on for a few days now. I just noticed that she is vomiting up a little blood as well. She does not cough and is not crying. What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  Andrea Scheer replied 1 year ago.
Hello this is Dr. Scheer and I have just read your post about your mini aussie. If she just came off being on steroids, she may have a stomach ulcer which is a fairly common side effect of steroid therapy. That will make her feel very lousy, not eat well and vomit blood. You can talk to you vet about getting omeprazole, famotidine and/or sucralfate for her to help coat that ulcer so it can heal. You can ulcer try getting Pepcid (famotidine) from the pharmacy and see if that is enough to make her feel better.
Other things that might make her sick like she is are gastroenteritis from eating something offensive, pancreatitis, liver disease or kidney disease. Given what you have told me, gastritis from a stomach ulcer sounds most likely. If she gets worse and stops eating completely, bring her to a veterinarian. If that happens, she may have pancreatitis which requires veterinary treatment.
Hope that helps and please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!
~Dr. Scheer