Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Terrier, has had slight skin rashes in past Read more: http://www.jus

Customer Question

Terrier, has had slight skin rashes in past, not to red or bumpy, they go away. for a few weeks now he's itching more n more, non stop. seems like heat rash (in Louisiana) not a flea in sight? should i try a shampoo first? We did change canned dog food a few weeks ago to a lamb rice, but he only gets a small scoop daily with dry.
any over the counter steroids?
thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
It appears that your sweet guy has allergies. This is common this time of year especially where you live even though you do not see any evidence such as hives. The best treatment is as follows:
Give your guy Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr. Loretta, your answer was sufficient. My problem is with this site. Its confusing and feel like they bait u into a long term payment plan. I tried to tell them I don't mind paying a few bucks for your one answer but I'm done, and better not be paying monthly now. If u can please let them know to terminate my time here. And have them confirm that with me..They say they have a 100% satisfaction garantee untill they get your card.
I am so sorry that it seems confusing. I will check to be sure that you are not signed up monthly.
Have a great day!!!