Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My girls got into a scuffle and the little one bit the cheek

Customer Question

My girls got into a scuffle and the little one bit the cheek of the big one- I am far away from a vet but I know there are equivalent people med dosages (she's got a little infection at site). I've got penicillin, and amoxicillin can I give her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
If there is a lump at the site, this is probably an abscess growing with pus inside. The best thing to do is to apply hot compresses to this area every 4 hrs to help draw the infection to the outside. Antibiotics will help and the dose of Amoxicillin is 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This is a prescription medication so it is wise to consult your vet prior to giving this to your sweet girl.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta