Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My 40 pound puggle ate 2 used tampons last night around 6-8

Customer Question

My 40 pound puggle ate 2 used tampons last night around 6-8 pm. This morning he seemed fine and ate his breakfast and had normal poop. Should i take him to the hospital?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm going to be honest here and say that this may be a very serious situation. I've taken numerous dogs into surgery for eating tampons that have become stuck in their intestinal tract. Potential signs of a blockage are vomiting, loss of appetite for over 24 hours, and abdominal pain. If these signs are ever seen, then it would be absolutely of great concern. It is good that he's eating fine at this time and having normal stools. Could he pass these tampons? That is the great unknown. The best thing you can do initially is to get him to your vet to have them check him over. At this time, they may decide to make him vomit to see if he brings them up. Another option could be to do endoscopy to see if they are still in the stomach to be retrieved that way. This may be a huge challenge at this time as the food from breakfast would be in the way of seeing them.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Puggle. How is everything going?