Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a medical cannabis lozenge probably a 4 hours ago.

Customer Question

my dog ate a medical cannabis lozenge probably a 4 hours ago. I didn't know, I was not home. But found the wrapper. It was actually pretty old, I don't know where he found it. He's accidentally eaten an readable before, and he go sick but was okay. I'm scared this time because it was added with extra CBD, and i'm not sure if that makes it worse. I'm really scared. He's just been sleeping and being lazy. He's a lazy dog normally, i only know this is different because I found the wrapper. I don't know what to do. He won't do much, I'm trying to keep him awake, I don't know if that's good or not. I'm trying to get him to drink and eat. He hasn't thrown up though. I'm scared to go to sleep and leave him unmonitored. Please help....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How many milligrams of THC and CBD was there is this lozenge?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Can you take a heart rate (do the same as the breathing rate but put your hand on his heart to count the beats)?
Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Is he alert enough to eat for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
50 mg THC and 5mg CBD7 breaths in 10 seconds= 4218 beats in 10 seconds= 108his gums are pinky redand yes he is, he's pretty alert, just not doing much. I got him to eat a great, but he won't drink anything. He's swaying slightly too, which is really scaring me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know if there was one lozenge or 2...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Just one more question, how much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think 40-50 pounds. He's a small dog, but kinda fat.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
First, I won't tease Buddy about his weight, since the bigger the dog the better in toxicity situations. And based on his weight we have a situation of THC @ 2.7-5.5 mg/kg and CBD @ 0.2-0.5 mg/kg. With that in mind, I can tell you that it is enough to induce adverse signs but not near the fatality dose rate (which is >1000mg/kg).
Now I do want to note the CBD actually lacks most of the worrisome side effects of THC/cannabis. It doesn't have the hallucinatory effects, the sedation, or the anxiety effects that often trigger the adverse signs we see with these kinds of ingestions. So, that component is a lesser worry as opposed to the THC.
In regards ***** ***** this can cause, the common adverse signs are lethargy, sedation, GI upset (ie vomiting, diarrhea), wobbliness, and on occasions, neurological signs (ie seizures, hallucinations, etc). That said, most low dose ingestion cases will only show these signs for 24 hours before returning to normal without treatment. Of course, if he became severely sedate, started vomiting profusely or collapsed, then he may need to be hospitalized for IV fluids and supportive care and intensive care with IV fluids etc.
That all said, if he is alert and with those normal parameters you checked (though his breathing is up a little, so he likely has a wee bit of anxiety and is feeling odd), then we can still intervene. While inducing vomiting will be of limited benefit, we can still administer activated charcoal. This can be used up to 8 hours post a suspect ingestion and will bind any remaining material in his stomach. It is available OTC but do request the stronger version (in grams not milligrams). For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food or water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). It works to bind the non-absorbed material and can limit the dose he has had. So, this could limit any more development of signs for him.
Overall, his signs are very mild here and that heart rate is within normal limits. For peace of mind, I do feel it'd be best to treat him with activated charcoal at this stage but otherwise we'd not expect severe side effects even if he did have 2 of these lozenges.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you thank you thank you. I feel much better about the situation. I hate that he got into these (I didn't even know I had them to be honest), and will try to not let this happen again. again, thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
Dogs are sneaky and often manage to find things we don't know are in reach. Still, as I said, this is a low dose. So, we'd want to take the above approach here. As well, perhaps it may be worth keeping 3% hydrogen peroxide (for inducing vomiting in the first 2 hours post ingestion) and activated charcoal on hand to counter any risk should Buddy ever do something like this again.
All the best, *****
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

nekovet