Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate 5oz of body butter . She is a 12 lb daschund

Customer Question

My dog ate 5oz of body butter for humans. She is a 12 lb daschund mix. Ingredients for the lotion are water, cacao seed butter, shea butter, etc
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long ago did this happen? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My dog consumed this about 30 minutes ago. No signs of distress. The body butter's top 3 ingredients are water, cacao nut oil and shea butter oil.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My dog consumed this less than 1 hour ago. Please respond.(###) ###-####
Standing by to call you back on the phone, please accept the phone call offer and I will call you back at once. Otherwise please let me know if you want a written reply and I will get this out to you quickly ... Regards, Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please type a reply. I do not wish to purchase additional services at this time.
No problem, I have been working on your reply in the meantime, here it is below ...1. My general experience with these classes of product is that they are quite non toxic to dogs, while there is cacao nut in it the amounts of toxic theobromine are very small indeed. So no grave risk to Daphne there . 2. That said, there is a small chance that this could precipitate a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea purely due to the sudden ingestion of an unfamiliar rich food source. I will give you a few common sense tips on how to handle this below just in case, but this may not be necessary. 3. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK4. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.5. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of teaspoons twice a day should be fine for a dog the size of Daphne.Of course if treatment becomes necessary any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check her over just to be on the safe side. { Very unlikely under the circumstances } I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the shea butter ingredient also in the body butter?
Just one more point ... If this was my dog I probably would not induce vomiting because of the low toxicity of the product involved. But if you want to take every possible precaution then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the body butter that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things may be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best ***** Dr Scott.Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again, Shea butter in the amounts found in these products is non toxic to dogs and not a problem ... Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
It is actually not unusual for dogs to eat this sort of cosmetic, I have been involved in a few such cases, this stuff must taste good to them ... Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Daphne is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the body butter.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daphne. How is everything going?