Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

I have an "almost" 12 year old Boston Terrier. She has a pace

Customer Question

I have an "almost" 12 year old Boston Terrier. She has a pace maker and pancreatitis. A few months ago she was bitten by a (suspected) brown recluse spider and treated immediately with antibiotics. She has what looks like MAJOR dandruff. There are large white pieces of what looks like dandruff. It is on her rear area and her hips. If I scratch her, massive amounts of this white dandruff looking material comes up through her hair. I've tried baby oil, bathed her and tried olive oil. I am concerned that it may be a side effect of the pancreatitis or the spider bite breaking her skin down. Do I need to take her to her doctor and if so which one....her heart surgeon, her pancreatitis specialist or her general veterinarian? What could this be?
Thank you,
Linda Wurtz
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Your description sounds like this may be a case of Seborrhea, which is a disorder in the way the dead skin cells shed. Typically, I suggest starting a fish oil supplement (2000-3000mg daily), and once-weekly application of "Douxo" topical spot-on, which is a liquid that helps to restore the proper shedding of skin cells. A shampoo containing an antifungal ingredient is sometimes useful, as yeast growth of the skin is often noted in conjunction with seborrhea. Sebozole shampoo is a good choice for situations like this. A veterinary dermatologist would be the appropriate specialist to seek out, if your general practice veterinarian does not seem able to identify or treat the problem effectively.