Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a 2 yr old mix short hair breed. I had a big prob last

Customer Question

I have a 2 yr old mix short hair breed. I had a big prob last yr with fleas but now does not not have them. He still bites his back, tail, and anywhere else he can reach raw. I've used hot spot spray and it doesn't help. Now I think he has mites in his ears and I'm not sure how to remove them. I can't afford the vet right now cuz disabled from 4 back surgeries in last yr and single dad of two teenagers and they gotta eat. I feel like a piece of garbage that I can't take to vet so I hope u can help me we love him so Much and I know he's hurting. Thank you my name is peter
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Casper. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
I'm so sorry you're in this difficult position, and I want to help you do the best you can for Casper within your unique circumstances. I know you may not be inclined to believe me, but 99 times out of a hundred a dog who is showing symptoms like Casper's still has fleas at the root of his problem.
I understand that you're not seeing fleas, but it only takes one or two bites for a dog who is allergic to flea saliva to get this itchy and scratch himself raw.
In fact, there are only two diseases that can possibly make a dog this itchy, and they're Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD) and mange.
I know you said that going to the vet is out of the question right now. If that's the case, you have one chance at getting Casper's skin healed up, and that's to use a high-quality flea product every 30 days ON TIME on EVERY PET in the household for AT LEAST FOUR MONTHS.
In Casper's case, he should probably be on something always, every month all year round.
I'm being really frank with you because on a limited budget I don't want you wasting time and money on something that won't work, and there are lots of those out there, too.
The only high-quality flea product you can get without seeing a vet is Frontline Plus. That's the cheapest product that's likely to be safe and effective for your dog.
Please understand that with the benefit of veterinary care, Casper would be likely to get better faster, but even then, it would still take months. I'm emphasizing this point because I don't want you to be disappointed when you still have a problem a week or two from now. This will take a long time.
To consider another avenue, there are some resources available to help with veterinary bills. Check your local veterinary hospitals and humane society to start with. I'll attach the link to some national groups below.
This way I'm hopeful Casper will be able to get the care he needs and the relief I know you so desperately want for him.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
There is a good list of resources for help with vet bills on this web page...
https://www.facebook.com/notes/dachshund-rescue-south-florida/resources-for-financial-help-for-veterinary-bills/10151165829365837
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reading over the information I provided above. I know it's a lot to digest, and I really do appreciate the difficult situation you're in - that's why I want to make sure you don't waste any money on treatments that won't work.
If you're satisfied with the information I've provided, please help me by accepting my answer and rating my response. If you're not, please let me know how else I can help.
Thank you.