Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 8 yr old rat terrier is nervously pacing, crying & panting.

Customer Question

My 8 yr old rat terrier is nervously pacing, crying & panting. We think she's asking to go outside to relieve herself but when we take her out she paces in the grass with her nose to the ground. Frequently she stops & tries to rub her face on the ground. We bring her back into the house but she paces & cries to go out again. Is she ill?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear that she is not feeling well.
May I ask her weight? Did the benadryl help at all? It is a low dose for her breed so I may have to adjust the amount and increase it a bit to see if she responds to the benadryl at a higher dose
Can you please tell me her gum color and whether they are dry or sticky?
Any sneezing or nasal discharge?
Is she trying to rub her nose in the house as well or only outside?
I am on-line another 15 minutes this evening to assist you further. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Benadryl is 1 mg/ pound so if 12 pounds she would require 1 full teaspoon of the liquid benadryl to help with any itching or discomfort of the nose if she was bit or stung by anything.
You can also use frozen peas or ice wrapped in a towel on the affected area to reduce discomfort as well...
If the benadryl is not effective within 30 minutes then I would advise a veterinary er to ensure there is nothing else medically wrong and she is not in need of any further medical attention.
I hope this information makes sense and truly apologize if you are having issues with the justanswer site and viewing my responses.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and your little Rat Terrier to see how things went last night? Were you able to increase the benadryl? Did she settle down? I would love an update when you are able...
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!