Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 4 year old bichon/King Charles has a swollen vagina she

Customer Question

My 4 year old bichon/King Charles has a swollen vagina she was in heat 4 weeks ago she is itching everywhere she eats and Is Active. I don't see vaginal discharge
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Is she itchy everywhere on her body or is it just the vaginal area?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is itching everywhere
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is itching everywhere no fleas hit not satisfied by mistake
Hello again and thanks for waiting.Sorry to hear Kellan is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Where a dog in this age group has a swollen vagina just after her season it not normally a problem provided she is otherwise eating, acting normally and appears healthy. { Other than the itching in your case } This sometimes happens due to hormonal reasons but you would normally expect things to gradually return to normal over the next month or so. If this does not happen then have your vet check her over but most other cases like this I have dealt with in the past were nothing to worry about. 2. Where a dog is itchy like this after the season then it can often be due to some form of allergy. In this sort of situation many owners use Benadryl on a home remedy basis and report success. Benadryl is used frequently in the dog where allergic reactions are suspected and a typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day for a week to ten days. Again have your vet check Kellan over if this does not resolve as sometimes prescription drugs are required.3. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quick question she has lost weight but she was over weight. Worried about cancer.
Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further ... Sometimes female dogs can lose weight during and just after coming into season so unless you are seeing symptoms other than the ones you have mentioned then there would be no great cause for concern as far as cancer goes. However if you are still worried a quick blood test would help put your mind at rest on this point and it would also be a good opportunity have your vet check Kellan's skin and her other problem. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.