Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My senior chihuahua has started a hacking cough and it's lasted

Customer Question

My senior chihuahua has started a hacking cough and it's lasted all week. It comes and goes and he has coughing fits which last for minutes at a time and it seems to get worse at night. He throws up water when he drinks, but he has an appetite and seems "normal" otherwise. He hasn't been around any other dogs and/or away from home for that matter. I'm hoping it'll pass, but worried it something serious.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian, and I'll be happy to help you today.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
ANY senior-aged small-breed dog with a persistent cough, needs to be considered a potentially serious situation, as the likelihood of heart problems causing the cough, is quite high. Congestive heart failure is common in dogs matching this description, and if not identified and treated promptly, it is life threatening.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Less-serious causes of such coughing, could include Chronic Bronchitis, which also is common in senior dogs, or other issues such as lung cancer, heartworm disease, other infectious issues (viral/bacterial), etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would an estimated vet visit cost to diagnose him?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Well, you're looking at a minimum of an examination and chest x-rays, so you might expect that to cost $175-250, I'd estimate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And then treatment would be more correct?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Correct, that cost would be the "minimum" diagnostics, not including any treatment or medicine.