Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a two month old maltese. she threw up the other night,

Customer Question

I have a two month old maltese. she threw up the other night, not much and today she seems tired and warm. She also sneezed twice. Is it possible that she has a cold?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is teething.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
So sorry to hear Bingo is not feeling well. Although it is possible it is a cold it is more probable she has something going on with her gi tract since she is vomiting. In addition, dogs that are teething often still eat and act normal as they erupt their new teeth
There are a few things to try but with her size and age I would strongly urge a veterinary exam today because these little guys do not have the reserve of a big dog and she can decline quite rapidly to severe illness even from a bug.
1.) Since she is not eating well please use a small amount of karo syrup on your finger tip and along her gumline every 2-4 hours to minimize the risk of a low blood sugar. She doesn't have to swallow it and really not a lot just a finger tip worth
2.) Pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1/8 tablet every 12 hours to settle her stomach
3.) Cook some white rice and boiled chicken and feed her small amounts (for example a teaspoon hourly) to settle her stomach and entice her appetite. Please wait 15-20 minutes after the pepcid to attempt to feed
If she is not feeling better, has no appetite, continues to be lethargic or has vomiting please have your veterinarian evaluate her today. Again we are much more proactive about health in these tiny little dogs because they do not have the reserve to fight illness as a large breed puppy would and can get very ill very quickly...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance today.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. I am on-line another hour tonight if you have any additional questions or concerns...
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bingo. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman