Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Our 12 yr. old Labrador has a bony prominence at his left temple

Customer Question

Our 12 yr. old Labrador has a bony prominence at his left temple just in front of the ear. He tilts his head toward that side. The eye on that side has slight drainage. He has less balance than just a couple of months ago. His appetite is slightly decreased, but still eats well. He rubs that side of his head with his paw several times a day. What might this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have more than 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Liam has a bony prominence at his left temple just in front of his ear, and a head tilt to the left as well as slight eye drainage on that side with a loss of balance, and a slight decrease in appetite.
Possible causes of those symptoms include a tumor or a bacterial or fungal infection putting pressure on his inner ear and balance system, and his eye and possibly making chewing painful or difficult.
I suspect that he rubs his head because he is feeling discomfort or at least pressure on that side and he is trying to relieve the pressure by rubbing.
Skull radiographs and a biopsy/culture of tissue from that area can help determine what is going on with Liam and how best to treat him.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Liam. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara