Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog had what looks like a punched hole under her neck,left

Customer Question

My dog had what looks like a punched hole under her neck,left side of her chest fell like a golf ball size lump under it, got a plus and a like bit of blood out of it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Sounds like your dog might have an abscess. Could she have gotten bitten by a cat or tangled with another dog?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
I can not answer your question effectively without more information. I will opt out at this time.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
So sorry to hear that your dog has this hole and swelling in the neck area.
I agree with Dr. Mel J that it sounds like an abscess. With there being purulent material (pus) coming out it definitely is advised to have her seen by your veterinarian to flush this wound out, ensure there are no foreign bodies or bugs in the wound, and get her started on oral antibiotics, anti inflammatory medications and pain medication to hopefully get her feeling better and resolve this wound.
You can clean the opening with ivory soap and water or an oatmeal-based dog shampoo to keep the wound draining and prevent this from becoming septic or invading the blood supply but in order for this to heal she will need to be on antibiotics and the area could potentially need to be explored surgically to ensure there is not a foreign body in there or nidus causing this infection.
I hope this information helps but please let me know how else I can assist you both today.
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!