Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

We have a baby raccoon with a eye. His eyes are not open

Customer Question

We have a baby raccoon with a pussy eye. His eyes are not open yet. He weighs 250 grams. I have Zithromax 200 mg. can I give him some ? How much?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. I've just come online this morning to find it in the stack. I'm sorry to read of your little raccoon's eye condition. If he is 3 weeks of age, his eyes should be opening in the next several days, making this problem easier to treat topically with eye drops or ointment. While Zithromax is a very potent and effective antibiotic, it has systemic effects like changing the bacterial population of his digestive tract, that are not necessary when the eye can be helped with simple eye drops. Your veterinarian can prescribe highly effective eye medications that will treat the problem without causing another one. If finances or distance rule out a trip to the veterinarian, you can purchase an excellent over-the-counter product, Vetericyn ophthalmic gel, from many pet stores, farm or feed supply stores. While I am not usually a proponent of over-the-counter medications in general, this one is actually quite effective and safe to use in all animals. You would apply a drop to the affected eye twice daily for 5 to 7 days, or for three days after symptoms have resolved, and the eye looks normal. The extra days of treatment help clear the infectious organisms from the tear ducts, so don't quit too soon. The product is odorless and doesn't sting or irritate the eyes, unless he should happen to be allergic to it. if it seems to seriously irritate him, stop immediately and seek professional care for him. If you should have any further questions, please let me know. Kind regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also has a little weising when he breaths and I think he may have inhaled a little formula.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry again for the delay, I've been in surgery at my clinic this morning.
The Zithromax might be helpful if there is an infection secondary to his inhaling some formula, but the effects on his digestive system are probably going to out-weight the benefits. A cool mist vaporizer would be more helpful to move out the foreign material without affecting his digestive tract. If you should desire to use the Zithromax, the dose is 30 mg per kilogram body weight given by mouth, every 12 hours. For his weight, that would be a dose of 7.5 mg twice daily for 5 to 7 days. The best way to give this tiny amount is to dissolve a tablet in a known quantity of water say for instance 10 ml, (20 mg per ml) and giving 1/3 cc (ml) per dose. You can refrigerate the left-over solution for two days to conserve your supply of antibiotic.
If you should have any further questions, please let me know.
kind regards, *****
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob