Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I put my 15 yr old dog down today they said he wouldnt feel

Customer Question

I put my 15 yr old dog down today they said he wouldnt feel pain but i heard him cry out did he suffer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am so sorry to hear about your old guy.I definitely feel for you and know how hard it is to make this decision. I am happy to help you this evening. The drugs we use for euthanasia often times cause a euphoric feelings when they are being administered and animals can vocalize as their effects set in. This does not mean there is any pain or discomfort but just part of the way the body is processing the drug. He probably had no idea he even made a sound. At that point and time he was likely unaware of his surroundings. We do everything possible to ensure they do not feel any pain and that their passing is peaceful and smooth. So I reassure you he did not feel any pain.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your quick response it helped a lot
You are very welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. You will be in my thoughts during this difficult time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead