Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I was thinking of giving my dog a paleoprotein dietary supplement.

Customer Question

I was thinking of giving my dog a paleoprotein dietary supplement. It does contain stevia leaf as 2nd to last ingredient. Main ingredient hydrobeef hi concentrate pure beef protein filter hydrolysis and ultra filtration system from beef raised in Sweden no hormones, free of GMO grains, grass,hay,or ensilage. Gives higher functional peptides. Its 110 calories fat 10 total 1g. Fat sodium150mg. Carbs 4g protein 21g based on 2000 calorie diet other ingredient list b4 stevia natural vanilla flavor, medium chain triglycerides, tapioca dextrin, natural Carmel flavor. 1-scoop=27grams ..I'm looking at this for naturalprotein supplement for beagle with chronic yeast issues. Want to improve nutrition for support. Learning hi protein, low carb, best what do u think would this be beneficial?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send pix of supplement, if u can do through this system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where's my answer? I haven't received a reply.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. Hi I am sorry, your requested Expert has been unable to respond, I will be working with other Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Camille - Mod
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your concerns as you posted them...
Stevia is safe in dogs.
The beef protein is hydrolyzed in that supplement and thus should be appropriate when added to a hydrolyzed protein diet that's balanced and designed to address a food intolerance. If the regular diet isn't hydrolyzed, however, adding the supplement might not be helpful when testing for food intolerance. For instance, Chloe might still be food intolerant to an unusual protein source such as kangaroo or bison in a presumptively hypoallergenic but not hydrolyzed protein balanced diet whether or not the supplement were added.
I need to know where yeast has been a problem on Chloe - her skin? inside her ears? Contrary to common belief, diets in dogs have not been found to predispose to yeast in those areas unless a food intolerance exists and causes an allergic dermatitis which then affects the integrity of the skin and predisposes to secondary bacterial or yeast (Malassezia) infections. I see that cephalexin - a good choice for bacterial skin infection - and Benadryl - an antihistamine helpful in just ~10% of dogs suffering from allergic dermatitis - were prescribed. Ketoconazole - the drug of choice when addressing Malassezia wasn't prescribed and should have been if a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of Chloe's skin surface) revealed abnormal numbers of yeast.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.