How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15375
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 5 month old puppy ate a dead geranium flower. It had been

Customer Question

My 5 month old puppy ate a dead geranium flower. It had been plucked off the plant and was laying on the ground
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I understand that you are concerned that your girl Maizy ingested a dead geranium flower.
This plant (and all of its parts) is considered toxic for dogs. It contains the toxins Geraniol, and linalool which are gastrointestinal irritants and in large quantities can lead to sedation and depression. Signs of toxicity include vomiting, a decreased appetite, depression, and skin irritation.
One flower in a Golden Retriever sized puppy is unlikely to cause much beyond some nausea and vomiting and perhaps a loss of appetite tonight. With some pups you may not see any effects at all.
If she seems nauseous or is vomiting you can give her an acid reducer to try and settle her stomach. Either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.
A couple hours after one of the acid reducers is given you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick.
If that goes well then late today or tomorrow morning start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 plain, boiled, white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for a couple days, and then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back over a period of 5 to 7 days.
If she is very nauseous and vomits even with the acid reducers and cannot keep food or water down she should see a veterinarian for injections to ease nausea and fluids.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.