Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog puts her face in her water bowl and laps at it

Customer Question

my dog puts her face in her water bowl and laps at it for several minutes, but does not get any water. She has lost 4 lbs in the last month. She is a scottie 12 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Penny. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
If she is not able to use her tongue properly to lap water, is she able to eat? She might be losing weight because she can't take food in properly, either. Raising the water bowl may help.
It sounds like there is a problem in her brain, affecting the nerves to her tongue and possible the nerves affecting her sense of smell.
You could add some liquid to her food, if she can eat, to try to get more fluids into her that way. Again, raising the bowl may help.
If I could, I would do a neurologic exam on her, testing the function of the nerves of her face and the rest of her body. It might help to put her on steroids; some neurologic conditions respond to steroids like prednisone.
Have you had your veterinarian check her out for this problem? That would be the best place to start, a good physical and neurologic exam. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.