Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

My 1 year old Westie went to the groomers today, came back

Customer Question

My 1 year old Westie went to the groomers today, came back all bright and full of life. I took her out to the field and again she was absolutely fine. She has now started to act very skittish and keeps trying to get to her bum and when she can't, she keeps sitting on my feet and won't leave my side?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I'mCustomerand I will be glad to help with your question. I'm sorry Tia is having this issue. I suspect that she is either uncomfortable after the groomer expressed her anal glands or the groomer may have caused a clipper burn near her rear area during shaving. You will be able to see a red mark from the clipper burn if that is the cause, but anal gland irritation is difficult to appreciate unless it is severe and causes redness or swelling of the anal area.
I'd see if Tia will let you take a look at the area. If you see redness, you can apply 1% topical hydrocortisone every 12 hours until it resolves (i.e. probably a few days). If you don't see a problem, the issue is probably some anal gland discomfort and that too will probably resolve itself in a day or two. I would suggest you discuss this event with your groomer so it may be avoided in the future: they may have done nothing wrong but if they know Tia is extra sensitive in that area, then they can take extra care in the future to avoid the same problem.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Sincerely, Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has no redness at all and she allowed me to touch her behind. She also allowed me to use a grooming brush on her tail and behind area, like it soothed her but as I said, there is definitely no redness or soreness. As soon as I stopped, she is constantly following me around. The groomer did not need to do anything with the anal glands at all and all looks as normal as what she usually does. She has been full of life and only just started acting like this just over 30 minutes now. She's been swimming, eaten her dinner, played with my 2 year old Lab and then started to act funny? Everywhere I walk, she is like a slipper and always next to my foot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And just so you are aware, I was sat in the room on the floor with them both when they were playing so he definitely hasn't nipped her or anything, quite the opposite, she is the boss!
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
It is very common for groomers to express a dog's anal glands during grooming. Since she just saw the groomer today and since you have noticed that Tia is trying to get to her rear area but there is no obvious irritation, it is most likely her anal glands that are bothering her. This kind of irritation would not be seen when you look at the anal area as the glands are internal (i.e. under the skin).
Of course, without an exam, I cannot be sure that the problem is her anal glands but this is most likely based on the circumstances. Some dogs become clingy when they are uncomfortable and that is probably why she is following you around. If it persists for more than 1-2 days, then I would have a veterinarian examine her for the cause of discomfort in her rear.
I hope you find this helpful. Maybe if you discuss it with the groomer, then they can verify if anal gland expression is a routine part of the service they provide.
Thank you, Customer
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I wanted to check and see how Tia is doing today. Better I hope. Did you get a chance to speak with her groomer? Please let me know when you have a chance.
Thanks, Customer
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tia. How is everything going?

Dr. Karing