How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16234
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog (a 20kg labrador) may have just eaten 70grammes of

Customer Question

my dog (a 20kg labrador) may have just eaten 70grammes of tomcat rat poison... and I was checking what to do next
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If your lass has just eaten this, then we need to work fast and get this toxin out of her system as quickly as possible. Therefore, to start, consider inducing vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get it into her. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get her to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing the ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of her stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
Now I am going to send this reply now, so that you can start inducing vomiting right away. If you start that now, I will continue to type about this toxin and our approach to preventing harm for your lass.
Speak to you again shortly,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Further to inducing vomit to remove as much from her system as possible, we can then follow that with activated charcoal. This will bind any lingering toxin in her stomach. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much she absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Once we have the toxin in the stomach contents addressed, we have to focus on their clotting abilities (which is what this toxin targets). In these cases, a blood sample should be taken by her vet to get a baseline level on the dog's ability to clot. They are then treated with Vitamin K to for a few weeks (the exact time frame is dependent on the generation of the poison since some are longer acting) to aid their clotting abilities. Dogs will serious intoxications will sometimes need transfusions of platelet rich plasma to ensure they continue to clot while their body flushes the toxin out. After therapy, a clotting profile may be rechecked to ensure they are back to normal.
Overall, ingestion of rodent bait is very serious for our dogs. And I would warn that the effects of the toxins are not sudden and can actually appear weeks after the ingestion. So, if she did eat this, then we need to act quickly here to remove as much remaining poison from her system as possible. As well, we do need to get her on prophylactic treatment from your vet as soon as possible to ensure she has not poisoned herself with enough rat bait to be fatal.
And just in case you do not already know where your local ER vet is you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet