Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate my protopic ointment what should I do they have

Customer Question

My dog ate my protopic ointment what should I do they have already thrown up 5-6 times
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How much does your dog weigh?
2- How long has it been since he ingested the protopic ointment?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One weighs 3.5
Ounces
And the other 7.8 ounces they are Pomeranians
2 hours
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Are they both vomiting?
2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but it stopped
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the ingestion of protopic ointment can cause vomiting, lethargy, intussusception, etc. The main concern is an intussusception which is a surgical emergency. This is what you can do:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/8th of a tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If they continue to vomit, become: Anorexic, lethargic, abdominal pain, etc. have them checked immediately by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter