Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog just ate a king sized Reeses. I've fed him some rice

Customer Question

My dog just ate a king sized Reeses. I've fed him some rice and he's 12lbs. Now what?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- How many ounces was the bar?
2- This is milk chocolate, correct?
3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just peanut butter cup/milk chocolate. But king size. I have hydrogen peroxide but it doesn't say 3%

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am looking for the ounces of the king size bar and I am getting different results. Can you please look at the wrapper and tell me how many ounces was the bar?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Cassie, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. Milk chocolate is among the least toxic of the different types of chocolate. I am finding the king size bar is 2.8 oz, I don't believe this will be fatal for your dog. But, to be on the safe side I would try to induce vomiting with peroxide. This is what you can do:
1- Move quickly and induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.
2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.
3- If he does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), he will be fine.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter