Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has cancer. A tumor that surrounds the entire liver.

Customer Question

My dog has cancer. A tumor that surrounds the entire liver. He has stopped eating and drinking.. I am feeding him baby chicken food through a syringe as well as water. He does vomit time to time. The last 2 day more so. For the first time I saw that his vomit was almost black and kind of this. All the other it looked more like bile. He just turned 10, Yorkiie. When will I know it is his time to go? He doesn't have much energy although he wanted to go for a walk yesterday and was barking at the ice cream truck. I'm so confused. Please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. Hi I am sorry, your requested Expert has been unable to respond, I will be working with other Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I am very sorry to hear about your friend.
These situations are never easy. As well, chronic diseases causing these kinds of signs can muddy the waters and make deciding whether it is time even harder.
Still, with his Remi's current signs, I am concerned that it is nearing his time and that we will need to make that decision. The black vomit despite only having chicken baby food raises worries that he may be bleeding into his stomach. Therefore, with that alone, we'd need to consider whether we want to have his vet try more treatment (ie medication to halt the vomiting, treat nausea, and a gastroprotectant and pain relief if an ulcer is present) to try to help him overcome this complication or consider taking it as our sign to let him go.
Further to that worrying sign, our decision to put our pets to sleep will depend on whether he is still doing those things that have always made his dog life worth living; if he is interacting with you and the world around him as he used to; and whether can he do the things he must for life (ie go outside to pass urine/feces, eat, sleep). If he is only rarely keen for a walk and doing those things he always had; that may not be enough. But if he can still do so regularly, then we could consider speaking to his vet about further treatment for him.
Finally, I have to warn you that as his disease progresses, Remi will continue to feel worse. So, even though the bleeding into his stomach and suspect ulcer could be treated; sometimes it is best to let them go at a stage like this to prevent them feeling any more poorly.
Please take care,
Dr. B.