Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr Scott, My Golden Retriever had a litter of 9 pups

Customer Question

Hello Dr Scott,
My Golden Retriever had a litter of 9 pups two weeks ago. Last Wednesday she developed Mastitis. My vet had a very hard time getting this under control. He treated her with 500 mg of amoxicillin 3 x a day, then two days later added 68 mg of Baytril 2 x a day and he put in two drains. The infection continued to progressed. When the culture came back he said the strain of Ecoli was amoxicillin resistant. So he put her on calvomox 375 mg 2 x a day with the baytril 2 x a day. At first he suggested I let her continue to nurse the puppies then he said to supplement the pups. Her mastitis has showed major improvement, However, I am not sure if it is safe for her two nurse. She just wants to be with her pups who are 15 days old.
Thank you,
Frances
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Frances. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now while Baytril is safe in pregnant dogs and lactating dogs, it is not advisable for the pups to nurse from her while this drug is in her system. The reason is because this antibiotic can have negative effects on the pups' developing articular cartilage (which can cause joint issues as they grow). Therefore, we only would use this if the benefits of doing so clearly outweigh the risk to the puppies. And since it is possible to bottle feed them and avoid any risk, this would be the highly advisable if Baytril is being given to mum.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet