Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 6 month old Hungarian Wisler and he's recently consumed

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old Hungarian Wisler and he's recently consumed a single raisen,will this kill him or cause and organ problems if so how can I help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are worried about Monty. Thank you for requesting me.
A single raisin is not likely going to harm him. I am not familiar with this breed; how big is he?
I just checked with some toxicology specialists on VIN, veterinary information network. It is not believed to be a problem if a dog weighing 25 pounds or more eats 1 or 2 raisins or grapes that it is a concern.
If this just happened and you are really worried, we could try to get him to vomit. If you tell me his weight, I can give you the dose of hydrogen peroxide to give him in milk or ice cream.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean Hungarian Vizsla?
If he is over 25 pounds, I would probably not try to get him to vomit if he were mine, for a single raisin.
We still do not know what is in grapes and raisins that sickens dogs, so the actual toxic dose is not known. The generally accepted "rule of thumb" is to treat with IV fluids and monitoring kidney values, if a dog eats more then .7 ounces of raisins ( about 4 to 6 raisins per ounce) per kilogram of body weight.
Let me know how he is doing and what he weighs.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if this was helpful, and how he is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I hope my answer was helpful, and that he is OK.
Kindly consider rating my answer when all your questions have been answered. Then the website credits me for helping you, and you can still get back to me with more questions and updates.
Sure would like to hear from you, so I know you are getting this!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jack,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Monty. How is everything going?